Monday, September 13, 2010

My passion for cooking

A lot of people (especially girls) were surprised when I told them I can cook and I used to cook in a small restaurant. How I love to see their surprised faces and it's even better to see faces of those enjoying my cooking (especially my gf, my number one customer). Seeing such expression gives joy to my heart and I want to see it a lot of times.

Because of that, I hope that in 10 years time I'll be able to run a small restaurant or cafe. I don't know where exactly or will it be western, eastern or fusion, but the concept will be more of a family cooking. When you eat in a family, the food gets better (well..if the family is in a good mood vibe la...haaha...). My menu..well..will most likely be simple dishes, ones you usually can find at home. Why? with the fast pace of life now, more and more people can't enjoy home cooking anymore.



What makes a dish more home cooked? Well, it's the love and care you have for your dish and your customers. When you cook for your family, you'll always ask yourself, " Is it sweet enough? Sour enough? Salty enough? Healthy enough?"...that's because you care for your family. Thus you'll also make sure you're using quality food and also you'll make sure you prepare them the right way.


Cooking should always be simple, the simpler it is, the easier it'll be. I'm not taking an easy way here, but I simply think that when cooking is made simple, you'll be able to control things better. Too much spices will spoil the original taste of your food. I don't want my fish to taste like some sour fruit.... spices should only compliment the main ingredient, not taking over it.

And in terms of cooking method, I just don't get some chefs using nitrogen liquid...and some other scientific stuff. True that theoretically some scientific method will preserve the good stuffs like vitamins and minerals... but it's not like we need a kilo of vitamin C per day!! In addition to that, what if things go wrong and you get nitrogen liquid all over the kitchen?? Cooking method should always be either frying, boiling, steaming or roasting... maybe you can use 2 methods per dish, but not more...


In terms of ingredients...always use fresh ingredients available near to you. Local ingredients are cheap too.. I don't understand why some restaurant owners like to use imported ingredients like bay leaves, thyme leaves..basil.. when they're all preserved, dried and expensive. Even if you order them fresh, they're all dried up when it reaches here (Malaysia). Plus, not all of us in Malaysia loves them (imported herbs).... Some of us here even gives it a 2 thumbs up for a spaghetti just with some button mushroom, beef and tomato puree (locally made)..... When the ingredients are fresh...customers will love them.


So for those interested in cooking as well...keep in mind that when you cook, keep your ingredients fresh...cook from your heart..add a pinch of love and always keep it simple...Byah!!!

No comments: