Monday, September 13, 2010

Reason for not wanting to be home...Internet

Some people love to be at home... I neither love or hate it.... but most of the time I prefer not to be at home. I can give you loads of reasons but for now I'm going to give you just one... My parents have a frustrating way of saving electricity.

Electricity bill for my house is between the range or RM80 - RM130 per month, largely due to the washing machine, fridge (we used to use 2 fridges until we get a large one), fans and the 24/7 water pumps (3 of them) for our fish pond. Of course the lights and other electrical appliences like Astro decoder, parabola stuffs and wireless modem+router.

To save electricity, the solution is to switch off the wireless set (modem+router) and Astro decoder when not in use. The thing is, both appliances are the lowest consumer (of electricity)..... So by switching them off will not make our electricity bill to go lower than our current range of consumption...and I seriously think we can save more electricity if we switch off 1 or 2 of the water pump. I mean previously we have more fishes in the pond, so now surely they don't need that much oxygen....but dad doesn't want to risk his precious fishes... so Astro and wireless will have to give way.

For Astro, I'm ok with it. We rarely watch TV and it's a cultural shock for me every time I'm at home for holidays 'coz I'm not so used to watching TV. Life as a 3rd year student is very busy and the only time I watch TV will be for football matches (at Siang-Siang). As for internet, I'm not so into an agreement with my dad.

The main idea on why we set up wireless connection at home is so that we all can use the internet, unlike during dial-up connection days. Usually I'll do my work in my room to avoid unnecessary distractions and most of the time I do my work until early in the morning. Sometimes, I'll take a nap before continuing my work at 4 or 5 in the morning. That's when I get frustrated. I am a very grumpy person right after waking up. I get very angry when I want to google for information and there's no connection. Then I'll have to go down, switch on the modem and router and wait to make sure everything is all right. It's even more frustrating when I'm in the middle of my googling and suddenly the connection went off. When I go down, mom or dad will simply say that they thought no one is using the internet.


SERIOUSLY?!?!?! I'm in my 3rd year engineering studies and they know I have 2 ongoing projects and 2 ongoing assignments, and they thought no one is using the internet?!?!?!?!? Technical based students are the most spontaneous when it comes to doing our work. I'm not saying we are disorganized, but most of the time solutions and ideas just pop up and we'll straight away be on our way. We do have our checklists, we do arrange on what to do on which day but we also do our work dynamically....

I'm into saving electricity as it is part of our job as engineers (future) to conserve the environment...but I simply don't think it is good to switch off the internet all of a sudden just because no one downstairs is using the internet. Why am I blogging about it instead of talking about this to my parents?? Well, I did and again they give a frustrating answer..." If we off it and you're still using it...then just switch it on again, apa susah." ..... sigh... how I wish they know how bad our internet provider is.

I don't know about your place, but at where my house is (BDC), if you switch off your modem, you'll only get your connection back in 15 minutes if you're lucky. Sometimes, you won't get connection for a few hours and that's when I'll have to refrain myself from calling TM to complain. That's also will be the time for me to try not to foolishly explain (to no vain) to my parents on how our current internet system works..... I did it once and their reply, 'If like that, why did you want to connect internet in the first place...cancel ja, apa susah"..... SEE!!!! Now you guys know why I'm not so into holidays....Itu baru internet issues...Byah!!!

No comments: