Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sri Lankan Induced Beef Curry

Now..before we go on...I'm not doing something disrespectful here. I do know most of them there (India, Pakistan, Sri Langka, Bangladesh and etc..) do not eat beef and I'm not making beef curry with 'Sri Langkan' in front to anger anyone. I am controversial, but I don't want any war. That's why I put 'induced' in the middle.


Here in Malaysia, Malays usually cook their beef by making them into rendang or masak kicap... To me they're way too thick and too oily, at times they're more towards sweet rather than spicy... Thus when I saw a couple of Sri Langkan recipes via TLC, I decided to adjust a little and thus call it Sri Langkan INDUCED Beef Curry. It's not entirely Sri Langkan style, I just like the part they use pandan leafs and curry leafs... their style of cooking made me come up with this recipe..


Anyway, for this dish I'm using ingredients available at my house; ginger, garlic, kayu manis, curry leafs, pandan leaf, beef cutlets, curry powder, turmeric paste, and some coconut milk (instant pun ok). Again I'm not going to tell you step by step, you have to email me for that. Basically I marinated some beef for 30 minutes with salt, curry powder and some lime juice. while waiting, blend ginger and garlic...add some cooking oil and chicken stock in (this will be half of the amount of kuah you want).


It's time to start cooking... heat some oil in a pot.. put in kayu manis, then pandan leaf and curry leafs... Don't wait until they're all burnt...once the aroma starts to rise, put in your blended stuffs. Also add in curry powder and turmeric paste..Let them all play together for 10 minutes or so (until starts boiling)..tambah garam and a pinch of love...Bila dah boil, then baru masuk in beef and lower the flame.

Some people prefer frying meat first before adding water or so on..... But that's not the correct way. According to Chef Sanji of Baratie, if you cook it that way, the taste of your meat will larut with the kuah..and thus the taste of meat will get all over the kuah and not in the meat itself. If you put in meat when the kuah boils, only the taste on the outer layer of meat will larut, but the inner part will still retain the taste...and so far I have to agree.


When the kuah starts to boil again, the meat dah masak...This is when we add the coconut milk...let it simmer for a while and there you go...sedap wooo.. Byah!!

No comments: